The baby wine of the Mas d'En Gil estate made from young vines of Garnacha & Carignan planted in the village of Bellmunt, south of Priorat.
This organic red wine is open and vibrant, light bodied, with a plethora of red fruits sensations accompanied by mineral notes on the palate. Refreshingly fine sweetness and smooth finish which sets Priorat wines apart.
- At 350 metres above sea level, Mas d’en Gil covers an area of 125 hectares of land within the municipal area of Bellmunt del Priorat in the southern area of the Denomincació d’Origen Qualificada Priorat (DOCa). We could say that the estate, spread over 5 valleys is a scale model of this mountainous region known as the Priorat. It is a region filled with steeply sloping slate-based hillsides, Mediteranean woodland, interspersed with vineyards of Garnatxa (Grenache) and Carinyena (Carignan) and by olive, hazel and almond groves.
- Francesco Gil, was the founder of the estate. He was intuitive and enthusiastic, very much a man of the 19th century. His descendents managed the estate until the next owners, the Barril family took over in 1930. They consolidated the technical and farming side of the estate and re-named it Masia Barril, they took the ground-breaking decision to start bottling their wine production.
- In 1998, the Rovira Carbonell family bought the estate and recovered its historical name, Mas d’en Gil. This was a dream come true for Pere Rovira, one of the great wine professionals of the Penedès wine growing region. Soon after 2000, the first Mas d’en Gil Wines were released. Pere Rovira’s youngest daughter, Marta Rovira Carbonell introduced organic farming methods to the estate and is the current director of the company.
- Visitors to the Mas d’en Gil estate are often emotionally moved by what they see. A few metres after leaving the main road, the views open up to show off the vineyard which is the essence of Priorat. Vineyard terraces, hazelnut groves, rows of olive trees: this “bell munt” (“beautiful – mountain”), the iconic, mesmerising mountain which frames Mas d’en Gil gives our village its name, Bellmunt del Priorat.
- The most widely planted crop is the grapevine, spread over 43 hectares. The great majority of the vineyards are planted with red grape varieties: Garnatxa (65% of the total planted vineyard area) and Carinyena (20%). 10% of the vineyards are white indigenous grape varieties: Garnatxa Blanca (White Grenache) and Macabeu (Viura).